Wednesday, May 20, 2009

arachnid



Okay, we went from low 50s, to 85, to 96!!  All in the span of about four days!  I know we wanted it warmer, but come on!  I guess us Midwesterners are just whiners!

And in other news, although I don't consider myself a scaredy-cat per se, and I can easily thumb a largemouth bass; clean any fish; hook leeches, minnows, and nightcrawlers; gill hold a muskie, etc., I am a big chicken when it comes to spiders.  Probably has something to do with waking up one morning in high school and looking eye-to-eye with a spider right on my pillow...or any other number of freakish spider tales that we all have.  One that particularly stands out is when Mas was a baby and wouldn't eat, and I would literally sit in a chair for hours every day and try to get him to drink.  Riley was 3 1/2 years old and, unfortunately, ended up playing by herself a lot at that age, and we were in Ohio, which was not home to any grandmas.  One afternoon, she came around from behind my chair and said, "Look, mom!"  In her left hand was a huge black spider, one of those nasty furry ones that seem to evoke images of terror in most of us.  Where was her right hand, you might ask?  Her right hand was petting it.  I freaked out, started screaming, and she got scared (rightly so, when observing the fit her mother was having) and we ran to the kitchen and I was trying to get her to let go of it.  She finally did, and it proceeded to scamper (I should use the word "lumber", in reference to it's Amazonian bulk) directly underneath one of my stove burners....where it never showed itself again.  I opened the top of the stove, searched for it incessantly, but never found it.  (Riley went on to love frogs, bugs, snakes....she even had a pet praying mantid at one point...we were all sure she would go on to be an entomologist!)  Anywhoo, let it be said that I do not like spiders.  Any size, shape, or type.

This morning, when getting into my car, I noticed a brown splotch on the driveway right behind my car.  I went to kick it out into the driveway, thinking it was a leaf.  (Did I mention we have 40 mph winds today that have blown half a field worth of corn husks into the yard?)  Right before my shoe made contact with it, I stopped, and noticed it...was...a....SPIDER!  A BIG one, no less.  Here's photographic evidence.  I have no idea what type it is, but it is definitely the type I don't want to see again.  That, I am sure of.  Shudder....  

As luck would have it, the garage door is what killed it.  Think of how perfectly that had to be lined up!  Whew!!  You'll notice it just clipped the humongous stomach area and smashed a couple legs.  A few centimeters in either direction, and that thing would have been paying rent in amongst my gardening tools.  Thank you, divine intervention.

No comments: