Sunday, April 26, 2009

things just keep growing

It's been a slowwwwww couple of weeks here; nothing of note to blog about.  Shorty after my Mexico va-k I presented with an upper respiratory illness....felt like I had a gallon of fluid in each lung, and super glue in my sinuses...the sinuses are much better, but the lungs aren't back to 100% yet.  (Did I pick up swine flu?  I hope not!)  I took a 10 day course of levaquin, a nasty super-strong antibiotic that cost a mere $130!  I didn't like how I felt while I took it, but am hopeful it wiped out whatever was residing in my lungs.

14 has been having a great run of things at school; doing well in her engineering design class, and even qualifying to take a harder section of her end of the year test.  Depending on what grade she gets on said test, she will be able to get college credit for this course; not too shabby for a youthful freshman.  She will officially begin her Very First Job on Tuesday; after about 6 hours of training last week.  She will be working at our local pharmacy at the front register, as well as cleaning up at the end of the day.  When she was young, she told me that someday she wanted to "climb poles and eat choking candy."  This was following an in-depth conversation we had watching men climb a telephone pole one day while we drove by, and also her request to eat some Werther's candies when she was much too young....I told her it was too dangerous for her to climb poles and that she might choke on the Werther's.  I guess her first job doesn't involve either one!  She is excited to enter the work force....(remember those heady days of your first paycheck??) and we are excited that she was able to find a job in this climate.

I got excited and decided to plant all of my seeds a few days ago.  The only thing left to plant in the garden is my tomato plants.  Now, we have the following items (hopefully) represented out there:  white habanero peppers, chocolate habanero peppers, peter peppers, jalapeno peppers (3 varieties), cayenne peppers, drying peppers, two kinds of bell peppers, roma tomatoes, a few slicing-variety tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, beans, summer squash, zucchini, 4 varieties of lettuce, 2 varieties of onions, garlic, and cilantro.  I am hopeful to use only garden ingredients for this years' salsa...usually, we end up buying the onions, cilantro, and garlic.  This year, I hope to just invade the garden when it's time to start canning.  Last week we saw highs in the upper 80s; yesterday morning we had snow on the ground.  I'm not sure if these temps will toast my seeds, or not.  We'll see.  In the meantime, the hubby and I are preparing to go on a day-long fishing date on Monday.  Grandma will be here to hold down the fort while we take the boat out for the first time in '09.  

I have rhubarb, clematis, roses, lupine, hollyhocks, moonflowers, and peonies coming up from last year around the yard.  There's nothing like the first appearance of a perennial to brighten your spring mood.  Here's hoping for more spring-like weather in the week to come!

No comments: