Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Idyllic

Well, here we are this morning, thinking back on lastnight's Idol....kicking ourselves that we didn't think to set the timer long, because we thought Seacrest was getting paid to be the Dick Clark of it all and keep things on time!  WRONG!  I did manage to catch Adam online this morning, though, and while there were a couple of minor pitch issues, that is just an entirely different stage when he's on it!  Proving once again that all you need are the lights down low and a chair, if you can sing!  I still love Allison, but agree that people don't seem to love her.  I guess I don't care if she's precocious in the way she comes off, or if people are put out by her clothing, hair, poor interview skills, or what, but that girl is stinkin' talented!  That's all there is to that!  She picked a great song, and as soon as I heard her choice, I settled in and waited for it....and she delivered.  I felt Danny Gokey (my third fave) was reaching lastnight, and I didn't really like it much.  I though Matt's performance was just ghastly, and I'm not sure what the judges heard, but it couldn't have been what I heard!  (Yikes!)  Lil Rounds, was for me, unforgettable again.  She just disappears from my mind after I've watched the show.  She's like a mist.  Kris did a horrendous performance, surrounded by people who were decidedly uncomfortable with it, as well.  Scott's performance was so bad it was bordering on hilarious, and he would have been much better off leaving the guitar in its' case.  Wow.  That song is all over the place vocally, and you need to just nail the exposed notes.  He didn't.  His enunciation still just slays me; it's so hard to listen to.  Anoop chose one of the best songs, in my opinion, but I didn't like his performance of it.  

Amazing to me how hardly any of the top 8 can sing in their low registers.  I think people forget how important it is to have that in the pocket, and how important it is to choose the right key for your song.  I know they are all dying to get to their "Star-Search-money-zone-note-brackets", but come on!  If you have no low register, don't pick songs where you are shoved into that!  Of course, the best singers use the gestalt theory to the hilt, and don't put together performances of on-pitch notes, soaring melodies, sharp beginnings and clean endings....they just sing, man!  Details be damned!  I believe Adam summed it up for me the best; the whole is different than the sum of its parts....or, his song in its' entirety made you forget about the little slips here and there.

I still say Allison, Adam, and Danny are my faves, with a fairly large gap between the top two and Danny.  The gap between Danny and the rest, in my mind, is huge.  Also, thank goodness Adam brought it at the end, or it would have been a wasted hour!  The rest of the songs were just not good.  I'm excited for when the judges pick the songs for the singers; that's the time I enjoy the most.  If I had to choose who will leave, that is kind of a toss-up for me this week, since so many are so forgettable.  If I could choose, I would pick Kris or Scott.

2 comments:

Linda said...

OK - Adam was probably the best I've seen on idol in a long long time. It was like I was at a concert. And then Simon's response - awesome!! I think he is so far ahead of the rest of the pack that there is hardly a competition at all.

Monroegirl said...

I totally agree...it was crazy how much better his performance was. SO cool!