Friday, January 30, 2009

night moves


I finally succumbed to the pressure and lumps in my sinuses, and called the doc yesterday...am currently on antibiotics.  This time, it feels like a standard-issue sinus infection...complete with painful sinuses, feeling like you're drowning when you lay down, dry eyes, blocked-up nasal passages...the whole nine yards.  

I decided to take Nyquil lastnight and hopefully grab a little bit of sleep.  At about 9:50 pm, I heard Mas pushing his musical toy in his room...I thought, no problem, he will go right back to sleep at this hour of the night.  I went in, checked his diaper, taped his light switch back down, and went into bed.  Then, I went back in for the same checklist at 10:30 pm, 11:45 pm, 12:15 am, 1:15 am, 2:30 am, 3:15 am, (which always freaks me out because of the Amityville Horror time...I know they say now that it was a hoax, but still!) 4:00 am, 4:30 am, 5:15 am, 6:00 am....after which he fell asleep. 

Now, we're used to night waking, as has probably been attested to in previous posts, but this is epic, even by Mason's standards.  We're talking 8 straight hours of being wide awake, no crying, no fussing, no bowel troubles, nothing.  This morning, I woke him up around 9 am, to see if he needed to go to the doctor for anything.  (The hubby had suggested it sounded like an ear infection...what a wise old sage he is...)  He had a wicked runny nose, a cough, and was, of course, wiped out.  After putting on his palmtop, I asked if he had any owies.  He went to the "owie page", and pushed, "ear."  He pushed that two more times.  I thought, well, maybe he has an ear infection.  Then, while waiting in the waiting room for the appointment, he went to the "owie page" and pushed "leg", and "head."  He then pushed "head" two more times.  I was kind of impressed, but confused by the leg.  (We never did verify that he had any leg pain...but, maybe he had "flu-ey" pains where he ached all over??)  The doc examined him and confirmed the ear infection, and then let her student look in Mason's ear.  After the student examined his ear, Mas bent over and flew through his buttons, and then pushed, "I want the flashlight."  (Pretty cool, since Howard always helps him play with the ear and eye scopes while we're waiting for appointments.)  Mas pushed the flashlight button two more times, while grabbing at the students' arm.  I was so proud!  I wanted to say, "See, he is in there!"  It was definitely a "moment" for both of us.  

So, the bad news is, we are both incredibly tired tonight, and Mas has an ear infection.  With a history of eardrum ruptures, that's not the greatest news.  But, on the good news front, he was able to link the look-in-your-ear-light-thingy to a flashlight, and also tell us he wanted it.  Strong work!  Here's hoping we both start to get better now...this reminds me of why I always dislike January!

P.S.  The pic is of Mas at our favorite German restaurant in Minneapolis last weekend...right after he had his first taste of dark German beer!  Sweet bliss, eh?  (It's okay, it was just a sip!)


No comments: