Sunday, December 21, 2008

make a cookie, give a cookie




I'm not sure how it started, but I will always remember wrapping Swisher Sweets boxes with wrapping paper and loading them up with cookies, then dispersing them to our neighbors/friends/teachers/bus drivers during the holiday season.  I can remember walking them over to Martha and Louie Otto's house across the alley, as well as taking them into my teachers and my bus driver.  My mom was a great baker (and cook) and my dad also was a fantastic baker.  There was never a shortage of Christmas baking at our house.  My dad would make rosettes, dusted with powdered sugar, and sometimes doughnuts, rolled in sugar.  My mom would make Russian teacakes, thumbprint cookies, candy cane cookies, peanut brittle, anise candy, spritz cookies, cutout cookies, old-school homemade fudge, divinity, and more.  I tend to take the easy way out.  I opt for almond bark creations, goofballs, as well as some good ol' regular cookies.  I have never messed with anise candy, and have yet to try divinity.  I have tried fudge, but not the old-school kind, just the easy new-fangled versions.  I have forced myself to learn how to make caramels, if only to take the pressure off my sister and also because my own family loves them so much.  I don't know if a person can find Swisher Sweets boxes anymore, but I just opt for plastic trays.  My pictures are a bit blurry, but you get the idea.  It feels nice to honor my mom and give away cookies the way she did.  

No comments: