Sunday, November 23, 2008

you deserve a break today...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water of parenting, along comes more bad news on the doctoring front for Mas.  After a couple weeks of not-too-many bowel movements, I decided to take him in to the doc to make sure things were running smoothly in that area.  Two x-rays later, the doc said he is packed full of stool.  Huh.  His belly was soft, he wasn't in any apparent pain, no crying, etc.  She said if she hadn't already seen his x-ray herself, she wouldn't believe it was the same kid.  In addition to that, his stomach was a very strange-looking rectangular shape; even I noticed it on x-ray and wondered what it was...(I thought, if that's his liver, we are done for.  But, the doc on call conferred with our doc and thought it was very distended from lots of air, which they attributed to the backed up stool.  After a weekend of daily enemas, suppositories, "go juice" (a concoction from my mom who works at a nursing home...prune juice, applesauce, and all bran), lots and lots of fluids, juices, etc., no milk, and worry, we still have no stool.  Tomorrow we'll head back to the clinic to see if they have any ideas to get this over with for him.  It breaks my heart in two to think he'll have to endure more pain.  I did actually pray the other night, and said if God was there and he was listening, could he please give me whatever he has in store for Mason.  I meant it and I always will.  I would suffer immensely if it meant his suffering could be over with.  While we were waiting for the doc, Mas was pushing, "my ear hurts", over and over again.  When we got into the room, I asked if she would just take a look at it, to make me feel better.  She looked at the first ear and said it looks a little red.  She looked at the second ear, and said, his eardrum is ruptured and the canal is full of blood.  (!)  Apparently, he had an ear infection sometime in the last two weeks, and showed absolutely no symptoms.  He had been putting his finger in his left ear once in awhile, but that wasn't even the ear that ruptured.  Go figure.  The bad news is, this is the ear that had an ear drum patch about four years ago.  Don't know if the patch is now obliterated, or if it will heal on its' own.  Either his pain tolerance is ridiculously high, or he just figured the adults in his life were too dumb to figure out the problem, so he'd deal with it himself.  I'm kind of at my wits' end as far as parenting goes; seems we should be able to protect him from all the bad things in the world.  I feel like I've failed him miserably.  I just pray that all of this will work out in the end, and that he won't have to endure any more pain.  

2 comments:

mrswade said...

This sounds so hollow but I'll be thinking of you and praying for you. Let me know if I can do anything. And I mean that.

Monroegirl said...

What you can do is elaborate on lastnight's facebook comment! I'm sorry I didn't click on that d*&n thing to know you were sending a message! I'm curious what's up now! I'll try to check facebook tonight and see if you're there! Hope all is well!!