Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dumb Friday

Black Friday?  Or just plain dumb Friday?  I went to town today to make a grocery run, first stopping by a local retailer to grab a few things.  The walking aisles were all divided, by stacks taller than my head, of TOYS.  Unbelievable!  I suppose one could just analyze Black Friday in-depth to point out a lot of things that are wrong with our society!  We're talking thousands of toys, lined up and ready for shoppers.  It was crazy!  I know some people enjoy bumping carts with angry mothers, grabbing a special toy out of someone's hand, standing in line for hours to get in the store, standing in line for hours to get checked out, the traffic, and the general mayhem that is Black Friday.  For me, while I know there are some deals to be found, I much prefer the world of online shopping, sitting in my pj's with a cup of cocoa and some Christmas music playing in the background.  And then there are the homemade gifts, of which I try to make some every year.  I have made calendars for the grandparents for years and years; at least 13 or so years now.  Last year I discovered the photo ornaments, and bought one for each of us.  Should be a nice rememberance every year, to pull out those ornaments.  Riley made tied fleece blankets last year.  While not exactly cheap per se (fleece is rarely on sale when you need it!), it did teach her about making gifts and putting some of yourself into the gift.  I have made cocoa for years and years; last year was the first year without making some.  This year, Riley and I are embarking on some projects, and I have already made many photo projects, as well.  I will make my kitchen gifts, as always, and we will supplement with store-bought goodies.  Don't get me wrong, I love shopping, (as my circle of five will attest to), but I also love receiving something that required some thought and some effort on the part of the giver.  Those are the gifts you remember and cherish.  I think we will spend Friday doing Green Friday; namely, putting up the tree and associated trimmings.  That sounds like a lot of work, but much less stressful than facing the crowds and mayhem.  

No comments: