Thursday, October 2, 2008

a place in this world

Had a sobering thought earlier...by the time Mas is 18, I will be 47.  47?!?!  When did that happen?  I will finally be able to become a productive member of the workforce again, but no one will want to hire a dried up 47 year old stay-at-home mom!  I can see it now...what are your qualifications?  Hmmmm...I can change 10 diapers a day, feed an octopus-armed child without it spilling, I can take care of 3 dogs, I can answer phones, take messages, take pictures, play trumpet, pick up a multitude of toys from a vast variety of locations, mow, pick up dog poo, and sometimes make something resembling supper.  I don't know what this would qualify me for...probably being a mom!  Ironic, eh?  While I am blessed to be able to stay home and raise my kids and take care of my family, I can't help but think that my myelin sheath is slowing down and my nerve impulses are starting to dry up...I wish I could challenge my brain a bit more while I am still able.  As I struggle to find my place in this world, I guess I need to remind myself that the world needs all types, and I guess this is what I was put on this earth to do.  Can't help but think about now that the whole working-my-behind-off-in-college-to-get-my-degree route could have been avoided for my current vocation.  I guess hindsight is definitely 20/20.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laurie - isn't life confusing. We think we know what we want, and yet when we get it we are not sure if that is what we are suppose have or do. I've been wondering if I'm really supposed to keep teaching? Life at school was great two years ago, but oh how things change so fast. Every week I feel like I'm on a long rollercoaster ride with HUGE highs and lows. Then I get a chance to talk to some of my friends and I realize that most of us are truely wondering where we fit into this crazy world and what are we here to accomplish. Oh to have even a few of the answers. Be proud of being a fantastic mom, you are great and your kids are so lucky to have you. Isn't it ironic that you are wishing you could be back in the workforce and I wish I could be home with kids. Life is cruel....but I'm glad I have friends like you who understand. - Nicole B.

Monroegirl said...

Yes, thanks for keeping my life in perspective...it's true; I'd rather be earning a living right now and you'd rather be dealing in diapers and sloppy kisses....it's crazy, isn't it? Thanks for seeing this for what it is and understanding where I am at this point....confused, but still loving my kids like crazy. You are such a wonderful person; I can't help but think this is also your destiny at some point.

Jamie said...

37-47 is the new 20. Thats what the young 20 somethings at my work tell me. You can do anything! You can and you do every day! You would be over-qualified for lots of jobs. When you are ready to enter the work force you will find the perfect job. But until then you are kicking ass at one of the hardest and most rewarding jobs ever. Your kids could not have a better MOM!