Thursday, October 2, 2008

if freddy krueger owned a dog spa...


Decided today was a nice enough day to give Skipper a nice shave outside...mind you, whenever I decide to do this, the wind is from the "blow fine pieces of black and white dog hair into your nose, eyes, and mouth" direction.  Today was no exception.  As I shaved him and tried to do my best Cesar Milan imitation to keep him still, I noticed the shaver was changing pitch and volume...looking down, I noticed I had lost the protective blade, so I was basically shaving off ALL of his hair...right on top of his head...where everyone can see it.  I figured I could even things out by shaving more of it, but here's what:  that is impossible to do with a dog shaver.  It just kept making uneven little cuts next to the other uneven little cut...argh...decided to move on to his neck.  I was concentrating on keeping things even, enjoying the cool weather and blue sky, and then, hmmmmm, why is the pitch changing again?  Because the cover was off...AGAIN!  His neck had nice little uneven cuts....all over the place.  I tried to even it out, but to no avail.  I finally decided to go ahead and cut his belly hair short (he is basically Cousin It if he isn't given a shave now and then...) and thought I could do it without the blade cover, since I wanted it short there anyway.  Right.  It didn't work as masterfully as I had hoped.  Now, his belly is full of nice little uneven cuts all over the place.  Let's just say a bath with whitening shampoo and a lot of sweat and laughter later, he doesn't look much better than when we started, but he is cooler, although now he has to stay inside to avoid being mocked by the neighborhood dogs.  I guess I won't be getting a job as a dog groomer anytime soon.  And they make it look so EASY on tv!  Go figure.  This picture is a pre-shave photo...couldn't bare to post a current one!  But just look at that face!  Hopefully he will understand!!  :o)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Laurie, I paid PETCO $57 to bathe and groom my 30 pound girl pup, Condie. They balded her in a few spots. And "They" are trained professionals. Don't worry. Practice makes perfect. I wash my 13 pound boy, Chipper. I trim his hair too. Condie is a bit harder to work with. Anyhow, good job for trying it. It's not an easy task, bathing or trimming.

mrswade said...

Don't you just love when you make the biggest bonehead move? Sort of makes you wonder when someone's going to pop out and let you know that you're on Candid Camera!