Friday, July 11, 2008

the wild outdoors




Just when a person starts to think they've got it all figured out, eh? Then Mother Nature comes along and smacks you right in the face! After a week at a cabin in northern MN last week, and a couple of days camping in southeastern SD this week, I think I've met my match in the Mother...she was quite kind to us while "cabin-ing", not so nice while camping. While it's true we did not have any rain, we did have 89 degrees the first two days, (with not even enough wind to move a blade of grass) followed by 98 the next day with a measly 5 mph wind...enough to make you wave your little white flag and say, "Enough!" I think I need to concede that maybe camping in those conditions (or maybe, any conditions?) is not for this family anymore. While Mas was particularly good, his usual "isms" were compounded by the extreme heat and humidity (did I fail to mention that h word?) and my lack of sleep and down time. Taking a drink and spitting it out is annoying at home, but mind-boggingly frustrating when you are trying to hydrate him. Ditto for dirty diapers, throwing toys, night waking, getting sand in his mouth and eyes, etc. I try to make it seem like we can do anything, but maybe I'm wrong. I do think it will be a long time until we are recovered enough to try it again. Couple all of this with the fact that Mas is going to be getting his 7th teacher in 2 1/2 years at school, and things are pretty grumbly around here. I am still (very) thankful for all we have, and said as much to the Big Guy in my nightly prayer roundup lastnight, but also asked if he could spare a break to throw down Mason's way sometime. I'll let you know how that goes. It does seem like Mason is due for some Good News sometime soon. Maybe we just need to look harder. I think it's just time for this fam to take a rest. In that vein, here are some pics from the trip...for your consideration! May the Motha of all that is outdoorsy continue to do her thing...and may we remember not to camp during the heavy part of the growing season.

3 comments:

mrswade said...

That picture of Riley is excellent. And Mason is pure joy. Miss you all!

mrswade said...

That picture of Riley is excellent. And Mason is pure joy. Miss you all!

Monroegirl said...

Thanks! It was a trying trip; glad it's over! I can't do 98 with no wind!