Friday, July 18, 2008

what's under there...


Looks simple enough, doesn't it? Some lily pads, reeds, smooth dark water...maybe a few dragonflies on the surface. The question is, what is lurking below? A bluegill? A snapping turtle? A muskie? It's anybody's guess! On the water is where I'm comfortable. Learning about people is where my comfort level fades. For some reason, whether through genetics or early interpersonal relationships, I have learned to be wary of new people. I am definitely a homebody/few close friends/hates change kind of a person. I hesitate to take the time to meet people, since you never know what you're going to find, and it's a lot of work, to me, to take the time to get to know someone. I am one of those people who is quite happy to keep my core friends and close family members. I don't have a need to surround myself with tons of people. I am loyal to a fault, unless I am crossed. Then, I come out fighting. As this summer wears on and more and more little things explode around me, I am thankful for the friends that I have, especially the old ones. I don't have to wonder what is going through their mind at any particular moment, because I already know. There is something to be said about "old friends are the best friends." It's nice to be with people whose insides are like yours, whose thoughts fall within the same moral groundwork, and who are working towards similar goals. If a person forgets what they're made of, you can call up an old friend and remember, through their words and thoughts and dreams, who you are. What a unique feature of friends. If you're down on the world and confused about life, call up a friend and share a couple of laughs. I guarantee you will remember who you are in this great big world.

No comments: