Tuesday, July 22, 2008

growing season




Just when you turn your back for a few days, look what happens! I guess things keep growing, even when you're not watching. Here are pics of the gardens. Not very large, but currently quite abundant. Here's hoping they stay that way. The little stick in there is a yardstick, to give some idea as to scale...'14' didn't really want to go stand by mom's tomatoes...can't imagine why! One of these days, it will be salsa-rama at the Georgeson Corral...should be fun! The "second garden", as I call it, (it doesn't hold the salsa ingredients like the "first garden") holds strawberries, zucchini, acorn squash, pumpkins, and birdhouse gourds. I am hopeful some of these items will make it to fruition. It's my first time with pumpkins, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm hoping I am growing as well lately...this time away from volunteering/working for peanuts has been good for the soul. I've been catching up projects at home, mowing, watering, calling friends I haven't talked to in awhile, cross-stitching, cleaning Mason's room (!), catching up laundry, and hopefully spending more time being productive. I was fortunate enough to spend yesterday with my friend Nicole, and although we did the usual "girl day" things, like eating and shopping, we also found time to discuss Life. It's funny how there are friends that you hardly ever see that can discuss Big Things with you like that, and you are able to just jump right in. While we only cried a couple of times, I can say it was one of the most enjoyable days I've spent in a long time!! Nicole, if you are reading this, just know that your grace in handling what you've been given and your ability to still cling to faith are awe-inspiring. May you be richly rewarded for your gifts in the future. Thanks for helping out a friend, although inadvertently, by sharing your stories and by showing what a classy person does in a situation like yours. You are incredible!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Your comments are too nice. I kept telling Ricky about how great the day was too and I also continue to be amazed at how we just have that deep connection where we can pick up like old friends. (OK maybe we are getting old but that is besides the point!) I truly believe that we have some inner connection that the Lord gave us. The connection of two souls that came from the same place and will therefore always understand each other.
I hope you also know how wonderful you are and how much you touch so many lives around you. When I read your blogs I'm always truly amazed at your deep insight to everything. Thank you for letting us share in those thoughts.