Thursday, May 15, 2008

duh-duh-duh-drama

This picture is back when I was king of my mountain...

Just wondering today when life is going to get easier for Mas. Pitiful thinking? Maybe. Depends on how you look at it, I guess. He just lost his (and our) favorite aide yesterday. She moved on to another job. This is a person who completely understands him, took over his class last year and finally taught him something, and was so positive and upbeat when she wrote notes home that I didn't have to feel guilty about what he had done at school....for once. It's tough to see people enter and then leave your child's life, but especially hard when it's tough for your child to make connections to people, and when it's so difficult for people to look through the disability and see the person. She did that. We're going to miss, miss, miss her. So now we're back to worrying about his education and what his days are like; in the midst of our 15th month of toilet training, (which will regress now that she's gone); knowing his room was short staffed before she left and will now be even shorter on adults; him having been on the receiving end of someone else's behaviors (and having the bruises to prove it). Argh. It seems we can never just sit back and relax in the comfort of knowing he is being taken care of while at school. I think that's one area that parents of "normal" kids take for granted. It would be nice not to have to worry about him on a daily basis.


In other news, it seems my prediction of a double-David showdown is now a reality. Woo-Hoo! I'm psyched to see what they come up with next week. To me, they are just such completely different vocalists, it's going to be difficult for me to pick one over the other one. It will be fun to watch, though.


My daughter asked me this morning how she looked as she was ready to go to school. I innocently answered, "Cute." "Cute?!" she answers..."I don't want to look cute!" I furrowed my brow and said, "Hot?" She smiled. I guess I need to learn this newfangled teenybopper jargon if I am to survive in this hormone jungle.


If you haven't checked out The Alaska Experiment yet, try to...it's awesome! The scenery and wildlife is one reason to watch, but the human drama is classic! I'm telling you, some of these people couldn't survive in the middle of Manhattan on a $15,000 a month stipend! It is pretty gripping television. You won't know whether to laugh or cry when you see people who have never even held a gun attempt to scale the side of mountain with rocks slipping down it in order to shoot a mountain goat...and then, be afraid to gut and skin it...and then, have to to haul it out back to their cabin in a backpack, hoping that wolves and bears don't sniff it out and attack them...Good stuff. Just proves that sometimes television is more dramatic than real life...sometimes.

No comments: