Thursday, April 10, 2008

On vomit and peacocks...and tooting my daughter's horn...

What is it about watching your child perform that can just lay you out in mere moments? Riley played her trumpet solo this morning for her middle school solo contest. Before she even got in the room, she dropped her trumpet and dented up the bell really well; then I had to tell her the accompaniment program that they have all been practicing with wasn't working, so she would have to play her solo alone, with no accompaniment. Then, she buried her head in my shoulder, sobbing, saying, "I dropped my trumpet"..."I dropped my horn." I assured her we could get it fixed. As I went into the empty auditorium to watch her, (empty because usually only parents attend) I sat and watched her get ready and just felt sick inside. I just wanted to yell, "It's okay, honey! You'll be fine! Stay strong!" Of course, I just sat quietly as she began to play. I felt like I was going to vomit! She ended up doing great, then, about halfway through, sobs started coming up and her shoulders were heaving. She had a great judge, who told to relax because she was doing great. She ended up pulling herself together and finished, and the funny thing was, she even hit the high B's that normally plague her in this solo. I was so relieved! At the end, the judge said, "Nice tone, range, technical ability, vibrato...what else does a trumpet player need?" He then said he thought her band director must be happy to have her. I was so proud! Like a peacock! I'm still foolishly beaming and it was 4 hours ago! I'm so glad she was able to persevere in a tough situation and present her solo to the best of her ability. It's such great practice for life. I'm so proud of her preparation for this and for her ability to handle life's curveballs. Yea, Riley!

2 comments:

FishMama said...

Yeah, Riley!

Cuz, remember that she has had a GREAT example in her mama in learning how to handle life's curveballs. Love you!

Monroegirl said...

Jessie, Thank you! I'm not so sure about that, but I sher wuz proud! :o)