Sunday, March 30, 2008

detailed class

Finished William and Barbara Christopher's book, "Mixed Blessings." I would give it a 5 star rating...out of 5. Here are some classy people. They go into great detail about what daily life was like for them as they raised their adopted autistic son. I would highly recommend this book for people who want to know what it's like for families of handicapped children to do simple things, like go out to eat or hang out at home for a day. They also go into detail about dealing with "educators" who don't believe their son is in there...I can relate! However, Ned, their son, is actually more of what I think would be called Asperger's syndrome, which is a type of high-functioning autism. He is immensely intelligent, but very easily distracted and has many autistic features. They went through the ringer trying to find medications that worked for his behaviors. Of course, I bawled through much of it, since I totally understood where they were coming from, but I think anyone could get it, based on their wonderful style of writing. The funny part, for me, was when they would have people staring at them while Ned was having behaviors and throwing tantrums, and then the same people would walk up to them and ask Bill for his autograph...what a strange reality for them. Who knew Father Mulcahy was going through all of that drama at home while starring in the best tv show of all time....(my opinion). There are just so many lessons to be learned from the Christopher's. What a marvelous family and what wonderful stewards for their son. We should all have so much grace and patience!

No comments: