Saturday, February 16, 2008

IQ

No, I haven't left my country on a Mexican fishing excursion...although, don't tempt me. Just been busy dealing with my son's three year evaluation and IEP review...for those of you who don't have to deal with such things, let's just say you should thank your lucky stars. Had a meeting with 9 other people to discuss the best way to educate Mason. Happily, they were all incredible people with gifts in that field...but, there are always opportunities to infuse these meetings with some common sense. (Cue: the mother!) It always feels weird, or should I stay it still feels weird, to introduce myself as "mom," instead of teacher. But, I guess I am a teacher, when you think about it. We covered everything from what motivates Mas to what struggles he has to toileting issues to his cracked and bleeding hands. (Me: can we use a different soap other than the skin removal hospital grade soap he is using now? Them: is that a problem? Cue: Mason, walking into the IEP with bleeding hands, blood on his pants, blood on his shirt, blood on his bib. Me: yes, as you can see, it's been a problem!) Thankfully, they are all smart enough to see that it is, in fact, a problem, but why no one has noticed until that moment, I do not know. (Hence the earlier common sense comment...) The lowest point of the meeting was reading that they tried to administer 3-4 different IQ tests, but that he was too low functioning to even complete a test. The highest point of the meeting was seeing his speech therapist tell us she wants to increase his therapy time because he's doing so well with his GoTalk, and because, to quote her, "there is just so much untapped potential in Mason...I can just feel it!" Thank you, Lindsay! :o) Some positive reinforcers can go a long way...for Mason, that would be M & Ms; for mom, that would be an occasional comment about what he can do, versus what he can't. At least we don't have to revisit this ground for another 3 years!

1 comment:

FishMama said...

Hey Cuz,

I just want you to know how much respect I have for you. Yours is not an easy task, but you push through. Thanks for being such a great example of mother love. God sees.

Love you,
JF