Friday, February 22, 2008

baby, it's still cold outside...


You know the other day when my thermometer wouldn't read? When it did start to read, it started at -21.5. Yup, that's below zero, folks. It has been a cold, icy winter. It's irritating to the core, and yet, there's a reason for all of it. I remember our move to San Antonio back in 1994. We were well into December and waiting to see what type of winter they had there. Right. They don't really have what I could conscience-ably (I am not looking that one up...) call a winter. Every morning at 7 am, when Riley was awake for the day, it would be 85-87 degrees and 3mph wind. Every day. Day in and day out, by noon, it would be 94-97 degrees with a 3-5 mph wind. Argh. The only saving graces as far as weather were concerned were the occasional ice storms, where people would drive into each other like cartoon characters and cause massive damage in a few hours. I remember talking to family at home and having them all think we must be loving this new weather. Wasn't it great to be wearing shorts all the time? Wasn't it fun not to wear bulky coats? Wasn't it nice to be able to walk virtually any day of the year? The thing is, it wasn't. Because, when spring rolled around later on, there was no rebirth to celebrate. No change in weather patterns, no remarkable storms that can only occur when warm air cruises into cold air, no fresh green grass where brown grass used to be, no running streams where there once was solid ice for months...let's just say those of us who live in "seasonable" weather are probably conditioned to enjoy and expect the changing of the environment around us. I like to think we probably respect the warm air more than most, because we've been so long without it. In the same way that people with "normal" kids seem to be conditioned to enjoy their mild weather patterns...I see parallels to that in our own life. I've been told that someday Mason will be able to speak, will have full use of his senses, normal muscle tone, and will be able to do and say and think whatever he wishes. Of course, that someday is when he is no longer on this Earth. Somedays, it is the only thing that keeps me going; knowing that he will eventually have full voice and mind to say and feel what he wishes. I hope it will feel like spring to him, and with a lifetime of a cold, harsh, icy winter behind him, I am confident it will feel lovely and vibrant.

5 comments:

FishMama said...

What a beautiful, poignant post! I am humbled. Thank you. Do you mind if I link to this?

Monroegirl said...

Hey cuz; finally figured out how to reply to comments! I kept answering the emails and getting them returned...this newfangled technology is really something! Yes, you can link to this, and I'm glad you enjoyed it....more later!

Briana Almengor said...

I hope you don't mind me visiting your site..I found it from the link Jessica posted at her blog. Our firstborn of twins, Judah, was born with a chronic syndrome known as Sturge-Weber Sydrome. We have known many of God's mercies in the midst of what can be for some a very debilitating syndrome. It hasn't been so for us. However, we have ongoing doctor's appointments and likely lifelong issues that we will face because of this lot Judah's been dealt.

Before our boys were even born, we were enamored with the Chronicles of Narnia (likely b/c I was teaching 5th/6th graders at the time) and chose a saying from the book to stencil on the boys' nursery walls: "Wrong will be right when Aslan comes in sight. At the sound of His roar, sorrows will be no more. When He bears His teeth, winter meets its death. And when He shakes His mane, we will have spring again."

We had no idea how much that saying would come to mean to us! It reminds me that my longing for the wrong to be made right is a God given longing, and that b/c of His grace and love for us shown on the cross, one day He will make all wrongs, right!

Monroegirl said...

Thank you both for your heartfelt comments. I do think it's a difficult task to try to explain to someone what you are going through...I tend to shoulder it all myself and then I need to have a mini breakdown day and expel my thoughts all over the place! Thanks for listening and also for sharing your stories. My faith has been more than tested and it's always nice to reacquaint yourself with that part of you. I appreciate all of the comments.

Sherry at the Zoo said...

Wow..this is an awesome post. You are so right about the seasons and renewing yourself. I love the quote as well. Thanks for bringing it back to mind.