Tuesday, July 31, 2007

pride





Yeah, I remember marching in horrific conditions, during my 11 year tenure in marching bands. Starting as a 7th grader in the Marion High Marching Band, through my five year stint in the SDSU Pride of The Dakotas Marching Band, I can remember lots of nasty weather. Playing in heat, a blizzard, hail, rain, high winds, and crazy cold. I know about mild frostbite on the fingers, having icy water roll down your lead pipe into your mouth while you hit a high C and hope your horn doesn't freeze to your lips. I recall marching in 117 degrees in Philadelphia for the Independence Day Parade in 1983. But, watching the kids here in Pipestone at their band camp makes me realize what resilience they have. I may have grumbled my way through numerous bad weather events, but I know I never practiced 8 hours a day, five days a week for two weeks straight in weather like this. Last week there were a few days that were so hot and humid it was hard to even concentrate, or breathe. I am so proud of these kids for what they are able to accomplish in such conditions. What a fine group of professionals we have here. I am hopeful the weather will break soon, so we can water our yards and our kids! It is a blessing to have dry weather in some respects, so we can work outside, but I'm sure everyone's shoulders would appreciate a reprieve from the scorching hot sun for one afternoon. Here are a few pictures to see what I've been up to for the past week and a half. The top pic is our fearless bass player, Riley.

No comments: