Sunday, March 25, 2007

"potty" is a verb...

Well, so it appears I haven't been posting very much lately...that is due to the new event in my life...attempting to toilet train my son. As he is 9 1/2 years old, the fun and magic part of it are long gone. As he is severely handicapped, the challenge factor is high. As I am impatient by nature and so is he, the challenge factor is even higher. The good news is, they are helping us out by trying to train him at school. The bad news is, he comes home after school and on weekends! We are achieving a minor modicum of success at this point. I believe he is trainable, but worry about how much sensation he truly has as far as; can he tell he's about to go, can he hold it while we find a bathroom, etc. This is one of those areas where having the body of a 9 year old and the mind of a 2 year old is not the greatest combination. A very trying time for us both. I figure if it's meant to be, he will start to get the swing of things soon. If not, then we will end up back in pull-ups before too long. Ah, the glamorous life of having a handicapped child in a world where "different" is a bad thing...it's one of those times when hearing people whine about "normal" things makes me have to bite my tongue, hard, so as not to yell at them that having to get glasses for their kid is not the worst thing in the world! Grrr! Wish us well on the long road to mastering toileting.

2 comments:

FishMama said...

Hey Cuz!

I feel for you! I know how challenging that whole rite of passage has been for us. A book that you might want to look at is called, Toilet Training in Less Than a Day. Keep reading -- I'm not really insane to suggest the book! The method was originally developed for handicapped children -- to learn in several days' time. The author took that study and condensed the process. I don't remember what he said about the original method, but you might want to check it out and see if there are things that will help. I'll be praying!

Monroegirl said...

Hey, cuz! Thanks for the note! It has been a very difficult few weeks and I don't know how much energy I have left for it. I guess we'll keep going until his teachers say "enough!" The psychologist at his school says they use the 2000 tries rule for kids like him; whereas a "normal" child will learn something in a few tries, a child like Mas will take 2000 tries...if that's true, we have a long way to go! :o)