Sunday, January 28, 2007

normal schnormal....

Okay, maybe being "normal" is at least somewhat overrated...tonight, after we put our son Mason to bed, (who has severe developmental delay and is nonverbal, from an undiagnosed medical condition, for those of you who are not aware) he kept going over to his window and pulling the shade open and pointing at the moon. I kept leading him back to bed and telling him, yes, I see the moon, tell the moon goodnight. Anyway, after I shut his door and went out to do some dishes, I heard him in there crying and when I went in, he was looking at the moon again. I went up to him and said, I see the moon and the moon sees me...he then looked up at me and put his hands together in front of his chest and rested his chin on the top of his fingers. Then, I said, "What do you want?" He grabbed my hand and led me through the house to the sunroom. He tried to open the patio door and then put his hands up so I would pick him up. When I picked him up, he pointed at the moon again. So, I took him out on the frosty deck and we looked up at the moon together. He was squealing with joy! He kept pointing up at the moon and squealing. It was so cool! Then, I told him to tell the moon goodnight, and I tucked him in again. Now, does he remember that we used to read Goodnight Moon, or does he just have a new moon fixation? We know he loves stars, but this whole moon thing is pretty cool, too. As far as the sign with his hands clasped together under his chin, that is a new sign for him, and new signs take a LONG time for him to learn. What does it mean for him? I'm not sure. He may have been signing "book", which is your hands clasped together, but opened up like a book. He may have been signing something completely different. At any rate, what a blessing that he noticed the moon so much tonight and that he wanted to tell us about it. A pretty cool event in our household. I'm not sure what it all means, but it felt pretty wonderful.

No comments: