Friday, January 5, 2007

kidneys

Well, here I am, almost 8 weeks into side pain that my doctor thinks is a kidney stone. After being admitted to the hospital for a day back in November and being snowed on pain meds, they did 2 CT's and 2 KUB x-rays and an IVP. The CTs didn't show anything; the KUBs (kidney, ureter, bladder x-ray) showed one calcification one week and two calcifications the next week. The IVP didn't show a stone. During the second CT with contrast, I was writhing in pain after administration of the dye. I was hopeful the dye (which is thick) was moving the stone. My doc says CTs don't always catch stones, and that IVPs won't show a stone if it isn't blocking the ureter. I finally saw a visiting urologist, (who was supposed to do a cystoscopy that day) who breezed in and said, "I can tell you right now it's not a stone." He continued to tell me it was nothing urologic and there was nothing more he could do, since CTs always show the stone. I asked him the following questions: 1) "Why did I have urine the color of iced tea every morning for a month?" His reply: I don't know. 2) "Why did my KUBs show 1 calcification, and the next week showed 2?" His reply: You had a KUB? 3) "Why does it feel like someone is squeezing my right kidney?" His reply: I don't know, but it's not urological. 4) "Why did I have pain all along my right side, from my kidney to my lower groin area, and now the pain is all lower right sided pain?" His reply: I don't know. 5) "Why do I have such strong pains if there's nothing wrong?" His reply: I don't know, but it's not a urological problem. I can't help you......My thoughts on this: Perhaps I need to see a new urologist?! I almost told him, that including all the doctors we've seen for our son, he was the worst one I had ever seen....but, I held it in to try not to blow up at him. Ahhhh, the joys of seeing poor doctors....that is for another post. I continue to have the lower right-sided pain, with no idea what it is, and I am almost out of pain pills. GRRRR!

No comments: